Friday 18 November 2016

Night raiders

While modiji fights his war against black money, here I am fighting this silent war against ...black cockroaches!
No pest control, no boric acid surreptitiously mixed in ghee laced ata, no spray ever ' hit's them..they seem absolutely immune!
They appeared suddenly one fine night and truly obedient to God's word have " gone forth and multiplied".
We tried thrashing them with our chappals..thappp..thappp..goes our chorus  at eleven each night, when we suddenly switch on the kitchen light.
Some were beaten to pulp..others learned a new trick..hide themselves immediately in narrow trenches against the wall like soldiers..so that nothing gets to them.
They dip themselves into the oil( they believe in naturopathy), dive shamelessly into any food  in vessels kept even a millimeter wide open..They come dangerously near my cutting tray as I chop veggies. They aren't even afraid of me!
I began scrubbing the kitchen platform clean with soap, ripping the crevices free from trapped food particles, cementing open cracks in the vain hope they don't come in for crumbs. That is when they began invading the fridge.
Modiji gets mad at black money hoarders, I get mad at these night raiders.
They exasperate me.
 I stopped inviting guests and if they do pop into my kitchen suddenly, I learned to use ingenious ways to hide them from their view. So a pan " accidentally" slips from my hand, the gas burner suddenly gets shifted and so on.
I tried everything..
So finally am trying prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment