Tuesday 17 June 2014

Homemade Jackfruit halwa

                                                      Photo: Jackfruit halwa...

I am a big lover of jackfruit halwa. No visit to Kerala ends without my buying at least a kilo of this , to gobble up on my return home.

The other day, Mom-in-law packed some not-very-ripe jackfruit for us to carry back. She didn't know what to do with it. "I'm making halwa,"I declared, without thinking.
I had no clue how to make it.

Yesterday I began. 
"Just eat it as it is..why go into this bother?" Hubby protested.
I was determined.
 The end result was simply delicious. 
Just like the store variety. Maybe even better. 
And it's so easy to prepare!

Ummmm...I just finished the last piece, hubby offered me so lovingly. Grateful, he didn't finish it off!

Here's my recipe.

Ingredients...

1 and half cups finely chopped jackfruit(seed discarded)
1 cup jaggery
a pinch of jaiphal powder
two tbsps ghee
two tbsps finely chopped cashewnuts

Method...

Melt the jaggery completely in a nonstick pan on medium heat. Add the jackfruit. Mix well. Remove into a mixie jar and grind to a fine paste. Now transfer the contents back on the pan and heat while stirring continually, till the paste begins to leave the sides of the pan.
Wow! Smells so good!
Now add the jaiphal powder, cashew and ghee and keep stirring till it becomes a thick lump without any moisture whatsoever.
Transfer it onto a greased plate. Spread evenly. Cool, refrigerate.
Cut into pieces and serve.
Tastes heavenly!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really amazing and surprising as well, I won't even had assumed that halwa can be made of jackfruits... Great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackfruit halwa is a rage from ages in kerala.they also make black halwa from maida but this is my favorite

    ReplyDelete