Wednesday 21 May 2014

A saree state of affairs


Its the most versatile garment.Can make the plainest looking girl look drop dead gorgeous within minutes.

Saree's voted the most attractive garment in the world.It totally flatters your figure as none other can.
Sushmita Sen immortalized it, as the sexy,saree clad, chemistry teacher, whom Shahrukh found impossible to take his eyes off,without humming a tune,whilst imagining her twirling around in the breeze,hair flying,pallu waltzing in 'main hoon na'.
How lovely reel goddesses look,as they tiptoe down red carpeted aisles,hair cascading down their waist,kanjipuram or chiffon clad,then up the steps to collect their trophies!
Vidya Balan's my favorite.

Yet, to the uninitiated,wearing it can prove to be a complicated process.
I did have my struggling days after my marriage.Wearing it to functions ensured I began at least an hour in advance.Finally I'd walk with trepidation,fearing I'd trip somewhere and self consciously waltz along,neatly picking up the pleats a foot high,while climbing steps.
But the fear was always there.About when the darn thing would slip off,though I knew I had secured it everywhere with pins and all.
But the effort was worth it.Compliments did arrive.

Some time ago,short of time, I'd worn it carelessly.I regretted later.For the flimsy thing slipped off me,in public,to my utter embarrassment.Luckily,there were just a few of my friends around, who laughed at me.No males anywhere in sight.
I rushed to the rest room and did it all over again.

After years,I can now wear it confidently within minutes,though during some bad days,I'd still struggle. My poor hubby would patiently wait. And wait.
Nowadays he sighs at its mere mention. 'Oh,that? Just wear something else'.

Saree fascinates westerners.Leaving them totally stumped.I remember a white woman behind me in a queue at the airport,describing a saree clad woman in front of me to her male companions. 'She's worn a small shirt,to go along with the rest of her flowing attire.'
She meant the infamous blouse.

Saree has evolved over the years. Starched,crispy cottons,matched with long sleeved blouse, worn by old fashioned women of old have given way to flimsy chiffons, defeating the very purpose of a saree. Reveals more than it hides.
Designer blouses keep shrinking in size by the day. Backless variety is the latest norm.

How then can we poke a finger at a western woman, accusing her of seductive attire?
So much for our double standards.

Wearing a saree's truly an art at what to show, what not to.
Still it remains the most attractive attire on an Indian woman.
And the compliments keep coming.
And coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment