Wednesday 21 May 2014

Hinglish Minglish

                      
"GODbole," please stand up.
"Maam, its not GODbole, its Godbole, just as you say,"goad."
"Okay," the English teacher replied, "now can you tell me why didn't you attend class this past week?"
"Well, Maam, my eyes had come. I waited till they went, so here I come".
"For God's sake GODbole, I can't make any sense of what you're saying."

"He had conjuncviitis, Madumm," the Mawali at the back spoke.
"Oh you mean, conjunctivitis. But what's with the eyes have come and gone issue here?" she wanted to know.

"Maam, in Marathi, we say, "Dole aale,", for conjunctivitis, which literally translated means , "eyes have come," Godbole replied.
"And I just missed class phaayou days, not seven as you say."
"Five days ..that's what he means," the Mallu lady in pink replied, giggling.

"So can we begin our lesson today? Okay, you," pointing to the Mallu. "I want you to speak some sensible words in English. You can describe yourself, if you want to."
"Oh, yayys, I yaaam veri good at it. Mai name is Malini. Spelt 'yum yay yel aii yen aii.' I yaam from Keralla. I vaant to spik good iinglish."

"What you saying, men, yumm..yenn.. speak praperly na yaar?" the UPite from the back.
"Silence, class!"
"Yesterday I went to buy some vegeTABLES. So goodlooking, so phine," quipped the Marathi manoos.
"Some phroots also," he added.

"Chaila, safed jhoot, Maddumm, he dint went...he send his bai to maarkettt," the Mawali quipped.
"Dekh mai tereko dikhata hoo, chal bahar," Lifting his dhoti, Godbole was up in a jiffy. "Nai, plis mat dikhao," cried the Mallu in alarm, shielding her eyes with her pink pallu.

Not to be outdone, the Mawali rose up too. He tightened the red kerchief around his neck. What followed was total chaos. The UP fellow began his bhangra, the Mallu woman her "aiii-ayyyos" and the Hinglish Minglish class came to a complete halt that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment